As members of Holy Cross, you have the wonderful role and responsibility to choose new leadership in our church. The two primary offices of church leadership and care belong to the Elders and Deacons of the church. Deacons help maintain the health and care of the church by giving leadership to the serving of our practical and physical needs. Elders are the shepherds of the church who lead through spiritual oversight and direction, feed through the preaching and teaching of God's Word, protect the church from error, and care for the church through discipleship and correction.
We hope you will joyfully consider men among our church who fit the biblical qualifications for elders and deacons. This process is a privilege for members and completely voluntary. As you consider who to nominate, we ask that you faithfully mediate on the qualifications from Scripture:
- For Elders: 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9
- For Deacons: 1 Timothy 3:8-13 and Acts 6:3-6.
In reflection on these passages, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does this man have a reputation for being filled with the Spirit and wisdom?
- Does this man live a life that tells a story consistent with the qualifications in the Bible? Not perfect, but consistent?
- Does this man model what it means to be a servant?
- Does he evidence the fruit of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:22-23)?
- Does this man speak the truth in love?
- Does this man exhibit godly generosity and self-denial in his personal financial matters?
- Does this man demonstrate self-control when he speaks of others or is he often given to slander and gossip?
- Does this man demonstrate pastoral care, concern, and self-sacrifice when interacting with the needs of others?
- Does this man understand the gospel with clarity and conviction?
- Does this man already live out what it means to be a healthy participant in the body of Christ by a) guarding personal holiness, b) worshipping regularly c) pursuing authentic relationship with others, and d) pursuing unity?
According to our governing "Book of Church Order" (24-1), all members of the congregation may submit names to the Session (current elders). After the close of the nomination period, the nominees will be assessed in accordance to their calling, character, qualifications, and readiness for the work of deacon or elder.
All eligible candidates will then be announced to the congregation for election at a later date.
Nomination period will be open from July 8 - 22.
To make your nomination(s), please fill out the form below.